Government not taking adequate actions?
“Kasur erupts with protests as 7 year old Zainab found raped, murdered and dumped” “6 years old boy raped and killed inside Lahore Mosque” “Asma, four, raped, strangled to death in Mardan”.
Very few of you would have scrolled down after reading the above statements. Us Pakistanis, we tend to shy away from such words. If at home, we’re listening to news with the family and such a statement is broadcasted, we usually switch channels. Hell, some would even turn off the tele. You cannot say that is not true, because it may not be true for a rarity of us, but the majority says otherwise.
Let us also share a few facts about what the activities of these inhabitants have done to our beloved country. Child sexual abuse cases have increased by 36% since 2016. 2,127 reported only in Islamabad, the city we call the safest. Gang rape have increased by 71%. 318 cases happened at the victim’s home, 276 at an acquaintances’ home and 16 in schools.
These acts don’t speak for all of us, but how would one know who it addresses? How can we pick individuals to keep our children wary of, when the one who raped the boy in Lahore was an Imam? When, Zainab was left in care of her maternal aunt – everyone is a suspect – but her parents return to her funeral? How can we, when incest is one of the common realities of child abuse? The bitter truth is, we can’t and we won’t. However, we can protect our children. Here are a few ways for every parent to make part of their daily practise. Also take no offence of some of these guidelines, because the culprit is also someone’s child, without the right parenting.
- Be involved in your child’s life, encourage your kids to talk to you about their day. Children cannot be expected to understand when it is okay to say “no” and/or run away from an adult. So build trust in them, making them comfortable enough to discuss anything.
- Avoid getting dressed in front of your child once he/she is 2 years old. Learn to excuse them or yourself.
- Never force your child to visit any adult he or she is not comfortable with. Similarly be observant if your child becomes too fond of a particular adult.
- Ensure you activate parental controls on your cable networks.
- Teach your 3 year olds how to wash their private parts properly and warn them never to allow anyone touch those areas and that includes you (remember, charity begins from home and with you).
- Become educated on sexual abuse and look for “Red Flags”. For instance, if an adult has many toys and games in his/her house, and several kids go there every day, this is a possible red flag.
- Know where your children are and who they are with at all times. Know your children’s friends and their parents. Ensure reliability before you allow your child to send time at their house.
Don’t let your child’s childhood be stolen from them, like many before. Remember, the pain lasts a lifetime. As a parent, can you think of any other guidelines? Comment below and share your insight with fellow parents.
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: blogs on child abuse, child abuse, children rape, children safety, kasur incident, lods store, stolen childhood